fredag 31. august 2012

Meeting with Osawa Koichi

 Yesterday I had a meeting with my former Japanese sensei, Osawa-san. We went to a traditional tempura restaurant (fried seafood and vegetables) in the Shinjuku area, a type of restaurant I or any other tourists never would have found on their own. We talked about culture, food and news in Japan, important topics for me personally, as I seek to find out more about Japan than just how it appears visually.  
It might be a little bit apart from my topic, but he told me about the harmony between arrangement, smell, color and taste in Japanese food. For instance the seemingly simple arrangement of a tuna sashimi dish in a small bowl;  Deep red tuna blushes on a bed of white strips of raddish, resting on a large, vivid green leaf, accompanied by a branch of deep green herbs and freshly grinded wasabi.
 

Each tempura piece is presented to you by the chef and then put on a white tray in front of your table. The experience is unique for each piece, which makes the whole evening a journey of delicious tastes.

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar